A noncommercial collection of information about citizenship, dual citizenship and multiple citizenship

[Please refer to How to Read a Country Entry for help interpreting this material. It was produced prior to March 2001 as part of a US government report entitled Citizenship Laws of the World. The accuracy and depth of these country listings varies significantly, and some information may be incorrect. At best, this page presents only part of the story for a particular country. Additional information for this country may be available in Country Information]

GAMBIA (The Gambia)

CITIZENSHIP: Based upon the Constitution of the Republic of The Gambia. (UKC-Commonwealth Nation) As a former British colony, Gambian citizenship laws are divided to accommodate people born before and after independence. The division date is February 18, 1965. Unless otherwise stated, laws listed are general in nature and apply both to those born before and after independence. Specific questions dealing with persons born before February 18, 1965, should be directed to the Gambian Embassy.

BY BIRTH: Child born within the territory of The Gambia, regardless of the nationality of the parents. The only exception is children born to non-citizens when the father is an accredited representative of a foreign power.

BY DESCENT: Child born abroad whose father is a citizen of The Gambia.

REGISTRATION: Woman married to a citizen of The Gambia is entitled, upon making the proper application, to be registered as a citizen of The Gambia.

BY NATURALIZATION: Information was not provided.

DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exception: Gambian citizen, who acquires new citizenship through marriage, is not required to renounce Gambian citizenship.

The Gambian government is debating changes to Gambian laws concerning dual citizenship. Questions concerning this issue should be directed to the Gambian Embassy.


VOLUNTARY: Permitted. Voluntary letters of renunciation should be directed to the nearest Gambian Embassy.

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Gambian citizenship: Person voluntarily acquires foreign citizenship. Person voluntarily claims or exercises any rights accorded to citizens of a foreign country.

ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship, or requests for renunciation of citizenship, should be directed to the address below:

Embassy of The Gambia Consular Section 1155 15th St., NW STE 1000 Washington, DC 20005-2076

Embassy/Consular Telephone: 202-785-1399/1379/1425 Fax: 202-785-1430



Help us improve this site!
Important information and Disclaimer

Copyright (C) 2002-2007 All rights reserved.