A noncommercial collection of information about citizenship, dual citizenship and multiple citizenship

[Please refer to How to Read a Country Entry for help interpreting this material. It was produced prior to March 2001 as part of a US government report entitled Citizenship Laws of the World. The accuracy and depth of these country listings varies significantly, and some information may be incorrect. At best, this page presents only part of the story for a particular country. Additional information for this country may be available in Country Information]


CITIZENSHIP: Citizenship is based upon the Swedish Nationality Law.

BY BIRTH: Birth within the territory of Sweden does not automatically confer citizenship.

BY DESCENT: Child born in wedlock, whose father is a citizen of Sweden, regardless of the child's country of birth. Child born out of wedlock, whose mother is a citizen of Sweden and whose father is unknown or stateless, regardless of the child's country of birth.

BY NATURALIZATION: Swedish citizenship may be acquired upon fulfillment of the following conditions: Person is at least 18 years of age, has resided in Sweden for at least five years, has led a respectable life, and has renounced former citizenship.

DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exceptions: Child who obtains a foreign citizenship through birth abroad or by having parents of different nationalities may retain dual citizenship. However, if the child was born abroad and has never resided in Sweden, Swedish citizenship will be lost at age 22 unless an application to retain it is made.

Any Swedish citizen can retain dual citizenship, as long as dual citizenship was not obtained through a conscious desire to voluntarily obtain a foreign citizenship.

LOSS OF CITIZENSHIP: Loss of a person's citizenship also applies to any of the person's minor children.

VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of citizenship is permitted under Swedish law. Person must present proof of new citizenship. Contact the Swedish Embassy for details and required paperwork.

INVOLUNTARY: The following is grounds for involuntary loss of Swedish citizenship: Person voluntarily acquires a foreign citizenship and does not fall into a category of dual citizenship exception.

ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship, or requests for renunciation of citizenship, should be directed to the address below:

The Embassy of Sweden Consular Section 600 New Hampshire Ave., NW STE 715 and 1200 Washington, DC 20037

Embassy/Consular Telephone: 202-467-2600 Fax: 202-342-1319



Help us improve this site!
Important information and Disclaimer

Copyright (C) 2002-2007 All rights reserved.