A noncommercial collection of information about citizenship, dual citizenship and multiple citizenship

[Please refer to How to Read a Country Entry for help interpreting this material. It was produced prior to March 2001 as part of a US government report entitled Citizenship Laws of the World. The accuracy and depth of these country listings varies significantly, and some information may be incorrect. At best, this page presents only part of the story for a particular country. Additional information for this country may be available in Country Information]


CITIZENSHIP: Information about the basis for Bolivian citizenship laws was not provided.

BY BIRTH: Children born within the territory of Bolivia, regardless of the nationality of the parents. The only exception to this rule is children born to parents in the service of other governments.

BY DESCENT: Child born abroad to either a Bolivian mother or father is granted citizenship either by returning to live in Bolivia, or by being registered at a consulate.

BY NATURALIZATION: Bolivian citizenship may be acquired upon fulfillment of various conditions: Persons with no ties to Bolivia may obtain citizenship after residing in the country for at least two years.

Foreign woman, married to a Bolivian citizen, acquires her husband's citizenship as long as she lives in the country and expresses her agreement. This nationality is not lost even through widowhood or divorce.

Persons who have Bolivian spouses or had children born in Bolivia need only to reside in country for one year.

DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exceptions: Bolivian woman, married to a foreigner, is not required to relinquish her Bolivian citizenship even if she acquires her husband's citizenship through their marriage.

Former citizens of Spain and other Latin American countries, who become naturalized Bolivians, are not required to relinquish their previous citizenship as long as Bolivia has a reciprocal agreement with their former countries. NO AGREEMENT WITH UNITED STATES.


VOLUNTARY: Letters of voluntary renunciation of Bolivian citizenship may be sent to the nearest Bolivian embassy.

INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for involuntary loss of Bolivian citizenship: Person aids the enemy of Bolivia during time of war. Person accepts a foreign government job without Senate approval. Person acquires the citizenship of a foreign country that does not have a reciprocal dual citizenship agreement with Bolivia.

ANY QUESTIONS concerning citizenship, or requests for renunciation of citizenship, should be directed to the address below:

Embassy of Bolivia Consular Section 3014 Massachusetts Ave., NW Washington, DC 20008

Embassy Telephone: 202-483-4410/11/12 Consular Telephone: 202-232-4828 Fax: 202-328-3712



Help us improve this site!
Important information and Disclaimer

Copyright (C) 2002-2007 All rights reserved.