A noncommercial collection of information about citizenship, dual citizenship and multiple citizenship

[Please refer to How to Read a Country Entry for help interpreting this material. It was produced prior to March 2001 as part of a US government report entitled Citizenship Laws of the World. The accuracy and depth of these country listings varies significantly, and some information may be incorrect. At best, this page presents only part of the story for a particular country. Additional information for this country may be available in Country Information]

KOREA, NORTH (Democratic People's Republic of Korea)

CITIZENSHIP: Citizenship is based upon the Nationality Law of October 9, 1963. Persons who were citizens of the territory of Korea at the establishment of the People's Republic, May 1, 1948, were granted North Korean citizenship on that date.

BY BIRTH: Birth within the territory of North Korea does not automatically confer citizenship. The exception is a child born of unknown or stateless parents.

BY DESCENT: A child born of a North Korean mother and father, regardless of the child's country of birth. A child born in North Korea, of a North Korean citizen and a foreign national. The citizenship of a child born abroad of parents of mixed nationality, one of whom is a North Korean citizen, is to be determined by the parents.

BY NATURALIZATION: North Korean citizenship is only granted by the Presidium of the Supreme Peoples' Assembly. Specific requirements were not provided.

DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exception: It is difficult to renounce North Korean citizenship. Most citizens of North Korea who become naturalized citizens of another country will remain unofficial dual citizens, still considered North Korean citizens by the North Korean government.


VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of North Korean Citizenship is technically possible by North Korean Law. Renunciation must be granted by the Peoples' Assembly. Unless renunciation is officially granted, the person will continue to be considered a citizen of North Korea.

INVOLUNTARY: There are no grounds for involuntary loss of North Korean citizenship.

ANY QUESTIONS concerning North Korean citizenship laws should be directed to:

Permanent Representative of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea to the UN 515 East 72nd St, 38-F New York, N.Y. 10021

Telephone: 212-772-0712/0725/0748 Fax: 212-772-0735 - prkun@undp.org


CA/OCS/CCS/EAP RM 4817 U.S. Department of State 2201 C St., NW Washington, DC 20520-4818

Telephone: 202-647-7717 Fax: 202-647-7388

North Korea does not have diplomatic representation in the United States. Citizenship information was provided by the U.S. State Department's Office of Citizen Consular Services.


Help us improve this site!
Important information and Disclaimer

Copyright (C) 2002-2007 All rights reserved.